School Angling Club - Newsletter - May 2020
We hope all our members and their families are safe and well.
As you know the AGM was cancelled due to the coronavirus epidemic.
This will not be rearranged due to the government restrictions
on social gatherings.
The lake will reopen for fishing on Saturday 23rd May, subject
to the restrictions and procedures listed below.
be reviewed on a regular basis (initially after two weeks). After
which, if all goes well, we hope to relax them further. They have
been drawn up using guidelines and restrictions issued by Government,
Environment Agency, Angling Trust and agreed with Harrow School.
notes for members
• It is up to each individual member to decide whether to
visit the lake after considering their own circumstances with
regard to risk from Covid-19
• Do not visit the lake if you or any member of you household
are displaying symptoms of Covid-19
• Before fishing it is the individual member’s responsibility
to thoroughly read the HSAC rule book and these guidelines.
• Initially fishing will be restricted to the hours of 10am
• Initially no more than 15 members may fish at any one
• There will be a pre booking system so members cannot just
turn up and fish without pre booking.
• Members who wish to fish must pre book before 4.30 pm
on the day before they intend to fish. Note for Sunday & Monday
fishing pre booking must be done before 4.30 pm on the preceding
• Members will be allowed to book a fishing day (10am-3pm)
up to five days in advance.
• Members must contact Club Secretary, David Bartlett, either
by phone (07721619342) or email (email@example.com) and advise
on the day/date they wish to fish. (see note above regarding times)
• Member must provide their membership number and emergency
• Club Secretary will then by email provide Mike March,
Sports Facilities Manager at Harrow School with a list of those
members who have booked fishing for the next day (on Fridays for
Sunday & Monday fishing). This list will be passed to Harrow
• Harrow School Security will check the member’s details
against the pre booked list and verify the member’s identity
before allowing access to school grounds through the gate on Garlands
Lane. (Members must have their membership ID visible for checking).
• No more bookings will be taken for any day on which 15
members are already booked in.
• Bookings will be taken on a first come first served basis
• By booking a fishing day a member must acknowledge that
fishing will be at their own risk
ARE NOT ABLE TO TURN UP AND FISH WITHOUT A BOOKING
Access and car parking
• Access is via Garlands Lane. The gate at the end of Garlands
Lane will be closed and locked.
• Harrow School Security will open the gate at 10.00 am
and allow access only to those members who have pre booked their
fishing day. Note, there may be a queue of cars down Garlands
Lane waiting for the gate to be opened. Please do not leave your
• If a member arrives after 10 am they will not be able
to gain access to the lake.
• Car Parking will be in the Garlands Lane car park. Please
remember to maintain social distancing in the car park and when
making your way to the lake. If possible, please park in alternate
bays. You cannot drive up to the lake to drop off tackle
• There will be no access to the toilet facilities in the
• Please report any non-club members seen on the lake and
any other security issues to Security on Mob: 07766 688597
Restrictions and guidance
• You must maintain a distance of 15 metres from other anglers
whilst fishing. This means you cannot fish in the next swim to
• Do not leave your tackle unattended or across the footpath
which may cause an obstruction
• Please remember the footpath is also used by school staff
and local residents. So please, keep to social distancing of at
least two metres whilst on school premises.
• No sharing of fishing tackle or other items
• Use hand sanitiser before and after touching locks, gates
etc handled by other persons
• Disposable gloves are recommended
• You must bring your own food and drink
• No Match or Competition fishing – Government restrictions
prohibit organised gatherings of any kind.
• You must stop fishing by 3pm and be ready to vacate school
premises by 3.30pm. Garlands Lane gate will be opened by school
security at 3.30pm so members must be packed up and ready to leave
by this time.
• Pay careful attention to club notices, this situation
and guidance may change at short notice so please check the club
website regularly for up to date information (www.hsac.co.uk).
If you have provided a contact email address, we will be sending
you updates by email.
• Remember, you must have a current Environment Agency rod
• If you are unsure or require clarification on any of these
guidelines, please contact a committee member (details below).
our priority is to create and maintain a safe environment for
members to fish. These guidelines are for members to follow to
ensure we all stay safe and well.
Failure to follow these guidelines puts us all at risk
Work Parties & Refunds
Due to restricted access to the lake it has not been possible
to hold organised work parties. We aim to arrange some later in
the season when attending members who paid the work party levy,
will be entitled to receive a refund on their subscription.
and Match Fishing
Until Government guidelines change there will be no Sunday or
Evening matches. Therefore, until further notice Sundays are available
for pleasure fishing (subject to the above guidance and procedures)
The new HSAC Club Membership ID card (orange) and your membership
card for the 20/21 season (blue) have now been sent out. You must
have both cards with you at all times whilst fishing the lake,
We have introduced this so that you will not have to send in a
photo each time you renew your membership, which will speed up
the renewal process and reduce administration.
officers & contact details
Chairman - Vacant,
Vice Chairman – Trevor McGahey (07444047925),
Secretary – Dave Bartlett (07721619342) (Email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
Treasurer – Bryn Bishop (07973848444),
Sunday Match Organiser – Adam Fowler (07967797261),
Evening Match Organiser – Bob Gilligan (07930961101),
Water Management Team Leader – Mark Grassi (07739465399),
Bailiff – John Wood (07533944278),
Committee members – Martin Fowler (07855954283), John Pope
(020 841 60599), Darrell Waldron (07900336536), Ian Wood (07736707384).
Web Editor – Sam Brown (c/o Fisherman’s Cabin, (020
Harrow School Security: 07766688597
stay healthy and enjoy your fishing !
During this winter we stocked 250lb of bream (averaging 1lb).
forget the Harrow season ends on 14th March
to see you at the AGM on 26th March
first family fishing match was a great success with 13 families
fishing, the match was won with 21lb by young Morgan, Second was
Carol 20Ib 5oz with young Willow third weighing in 17lb 8oz and
catching the biggest fish of the day a 10lb common carp.
It was great to see lots of young anglers fishing with parents
and grandparents. We also had the youngest angler of the day at
2 ½ years, catching a small roach.
Thanks to everybody who helped out and generously donated prizes.
We are looking forward to doing this again next year.